Thursday, January 28, 2010

New friend, coffee table forts build memories

New friend, coffee table forts build memories
Published January 28, 2010 in the Commercial Appeal

"Dorsey and I played together today," Jiro, my 5-year-old, reported from the back seat on our way home from school last week. Normally he plays with the same group of kids, so I was happily surprised to hear this piece of news.

Satchel, Jiro's 7-year-old brother said, "You played with someone new today and made a new friend?" Jiro nodded. Satchel continued, "I love it when that happens. Isn't that fun?"

Of course my heart was melting in the front seat, but I tried not to let on. It's moments like these that make being a mother so wonderful. In my very hectic and busy life, it is great to have my children remind me of life's small pleasures.

A few days later, I asked Satchel to help me move the coffee table out of our living room so I could do some minor carpet repair. (The rug is made up of 20-inch squares that were coming unstuck.) Once we had the coffee table conveniently placed in the entryway, Satchel and Jiro immediately got excited.

"Can we build a fort? Please?" Satchel asked...(Read more)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...