Thursday, March 24, 2011

Don't mind yardwork: That's what sons are for

Published March 24, 2011 in the Commercial Appeal
When we purchased our house four years ago, our Realtor warned us that the two giant sweetgum trees in the backyard would vex us year round. At the time, our boys were 2 and 4 -- old enough to mill about while I did yard work, I thought. I loved the house, so I said, "I'll handle the gumballs."

Famous last words, right? The two trees are massive, and no doubt hundreds of years old. We live in Lea's Woods, which is adjacent to Overton Park's Old Forest. These are some serious trees. And yes, they vex us year round.

In their defense, I will say that they are gorgeous and they provide great shade in the summer. I love our summer utility bills.

But I am not a fan of the year-round sprinkling of gumballs, the massive leaf dumping, and the yearly shower of broccolini-like pollen pods. When there are storms, large sticks and branches often fall. My husband and I both have nightmares about one -- or both -- of the trees falling on the house...(Read more).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...