Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hold snow: Son would trade it for taekwondo

Hold snow: Son would trade it for taekwondo
Published January 13, 2011 in the Commercial Appeal

On Sunday night, when it actually started to snow, I informed my 6- and 8-year- old sons that there was a good chance they wouldn’t have to go to school on Monday. My younger immediately broke out into his “Oh yeah, uh-huh” dance, but the older one hesitated. “If school is closed, does that mean that the taekwondo studio will be closed, too?” he asked. When I told him that it probably would, he proclaimed, “I don’t want it to snow!”

That’s blasphemy for a school-age child in Memphis, isn’t it? I was able to perk him up with promises of trekking through the frosty Old Forest, sledding at the Levitt Shell, and building snow people in the front yard. Several times throughout the day, he asked if he could put on his taekwondo uniform and sparring gear and just hang out. He even tried to convince me that his helmet would help keep him warm at the park...(Read more).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...