Thursday, September 1, 2011

Key Lime Pie Ice Cream at La Michoacana

Published September 1, 2011 in the Memphis Flyer


It's pretty ridiculous how often I go to La Michoacana for paletas. Owner Rafael Gonzalez, seemingly stunned, finally said to me, "You don't like ice cream?" I'd tried a few tastes here and there, but I was so focused on the rainbow of frozen pops in the front of the store, I couldn't be persuaded to go any further. Well, big mistake. The ice cream is even better than the paletas. The base for the ice cream and the paletas de leche (creamy pops) is the same, but the ice cream is simply amazing and completely different from the standard fare elsewhere. It's super creamy yet still light and fluffy. Like the paletas, it is made fresh every day, and that must be the secret to its awesomeness. I'm currently obsessed with the key lime pie, which has the perfect key lime flavor — not too tart, not too sweet. Crumbled cookies (or "crust") are layered throughout, making this treat better than an actual slice of pie. I like to savor each bite, making sure to get a bit of crust each time. It's the perfect treat.

La Michoacana, 4091 Summer

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...