Friday, January 1, 2010

Workout Warriors

Workout Warriors
Published January 1, 2010 in Memphis Parent

Back in September, I discovered my fall/winter wardrobe had gotten, well, slightly more than a little snug. It seemed strange, since I had been making regular appearances in my bathing suit all summer. Still, there was no denying the truth: an immense divide yawned between the button and button hole of my waistband.
In search of a remedy, I saw a link on Facebook to Memphis Adventure Boot Camp for Women (ABC). One look at the 5:30 a.m. start time, and I knew there was no way I could do it. After all, I work full-time, do freelance writing on the side, and try to keep up with the day-to-day care and feeding (not to mention entertainment) of my two wild boys, Satchel (7) and Jiro (5). I was already operating on less than seven hours of sleep each night; how could I give up two more?
But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that 5:30 in the morning was about the only time I wasn’t scheduled to be somewhere — except in bed. If I was going to incorporate regular exercise into my routine, it would have to be then. So I signed up to attend a four-week boot camp that met Monday through Friday from 5:30 to 6:30 a.m. I dug out my tennis shoes, bought a set of 3-lb. weights and a yoga mat, and set my alarm clock for 5 a.m...(Read more)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...