Thursday, May 20, 2010

Here's to riding for a bike-friendly Memphis

Here's to riding for a bike-friendly Memphis
Published May 20, 2010 in the Commercial Appeal

When I was 6 I had a boy's-model black Huffy bike with a banana seat. I rode it all over the neighborhood, popping wheelies and repeatedly skinning my knees. I rode to school, to friends' houses and to the corner store to buy candy.

When I recently mentioned letting my 8-year-old, Satchel, ride his bike to a friend's house down the street, my mom e-mailed me and begged me not to let him do it. I'm sure she pictured a white van pulling up alongside Satchel's bike, a scary man offering him candy and then kidnapping him. Or maybe she thinks he'll get shot because I live in a Midtown neighborhood she views as scary...(Read more).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...